The days are growing longer and the temps are getting warmer. You’re thinking about summer barbecues and swimming lessons. Take a moment to also consider re-acclimating your home.
Our Midwest winters with freezing temperatures that transition to 80-degree summers can be hard on your home’s heating and cooling system. Your system that’s been working hard all winter to keep your family warm and cozy must now be prepared for the cooling process.
There’s one simple concept to remember when adjusting from winter to summer: warm air rises and cooler air sinks.
In your multi-story home this winter, nature saw to it that warm air rose from your furnace to the second floor. Little force was necessary to keep your upstairs bedrooms warm and restful. Now, looking ahead, you’ll want to force cooler air to rise in order to keep the upper floor a comfortable temperature during Chicago’s hot and humid summer months.
There’s a fast and easy five-step approach for an efficient and cost effective seasonal re-acclimation in your home:
- Air Vents: Open the vents in rooms on the higher levels and close those in your basement and on lower floors. Since warm air rose during wintertime, you likely closed the vents upstairs last autumn. Now, it’s time to do the opposite. Your air conditioner will efficiently force cool air upwards with the upper floor vents opened.
- Filters: This is an especially important and inexpensive way to ensure your family is breathing clean air. Spring is the ideal time to replace furnace filters. You’ll be amazed by how much dirt and dust they collect over the winter months. Remember to also change the filter on your air cleaner and dehumidifier.
- Testing and Cleaning: Over the winter, your central air conditioning unit has been dormant. Spring is the perfect time to test your unit before you actually need it. Simply set your thermostat to the lowest possible temperature and switch to cool. This should start your unit, and you’ll begin to feel cool air coming through the vents. If not, you’ll have time for the unit to be repaired before temperatures and humidity start to rise. Also, even if it’s been covered, your a/c unit likely needs a thorough cleaning after winter has passed. Remove debris, check hoses, tighten connections, and eliminate possible pest infestation to achieve optimal utilization.
- Duct Debris: If dust is coming through the vents as you are testing your air conditioning, this means your ducts need to be cleaned.
- Continuous Fan: Older, two-story homes were generally not built for air conditioning. The ductwork is too limited to thoroughly power cool air to the upper level. To help create a comfortable environment on the upper level, set your thermostat to run the fan continuously. This gives the upstairs a constant flow of cool air when you need it most.
We Help Homeowners
Flader Plumbing and Heating is uniquely suited to assist you in determining the solution that best fits your home and family’s needs. We’ve been serving your neighbors and our community for over 100 years and 4 generations.
The Flader Difference
Only Flader Heating and Air Conditioning delivers:
- The most responsive service. We’re here for you 24-hours/7-days a week.
- Personal attention from certified and licensed technicians.
- The most dependable equipment and parts.
- Money saving maintenance agreements.
- FREE annual filter replacements.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
Flader Plumbing and Heating recommends equipment, models, and brands proven to have the fewest problems and service calls. We specialize in:
Whether you’re replacing your water heater, furnace or central air conditioning, adding a humidifier or clean air system, or cleaning and servicing your air quality system or sump pump, we are knowledgeable and expert in delivering the service you need.
Our professional technicians arrive on time, listen to your concerns, and answer your questions. They will recommend the right solution and deliver as promised. Flader technicians average 15 years of experience and are EPA certified.
Expert service, quality parts, and satisfaction guaranteed. That’s the winning trifecta you deserve. There is no reason to compromise. Call us at 847-491-6980.