If your home is feeling too warm or too cool, you probably head straight to your thermostat to change the temperature. With just the press of a button, you can send warm or cold air circulating throughout your home. As the main control of your home’s temperature, your thermostat allows you to communicate with your heating and cooling system.
Although most of us understand what a thermostat does, we generally don’t consider how it saves energy and lowers our electric bill.
How a Thermostat Works
Electronic thermostats function similarly to a small computer, using sensors to determine whether or not your home is at the desired temperature. They also provide features and benefits like programmable settings and Wi-Fi capabilities allowing you to keep your home at a different temperature during the day or at night whether you are at home or away.
A properly functioning thermostat is important for conserving energy and saving on energy bills. Too many changes in temperature cause your system to work overtime. If you are constantly turning the thermostat up or down, you may find you’re wasting a lot of energy and shortening the life of your thermostat.
Thermostat Best Practices and What to Do
Here are a few tips on how to get the most out of your HVAC system by better managing your thermostat.
- Be aware of outside temperatures. When your thermostat is trying to control the temperature inside the home, it will be battling against the temperature outside. This means the bigger the difference between the two temperatures, the harder the system is going to work. This causes you to use more energy.
- Remain Patient. If you’re blazing hot or freezing cold, you may be tempted to overreact with an extreme setting on your thermostat. However, there is only so much energy your system can exert at once.
- Use Programmable Features. Programmable features within your thermostat automatically change the temperature in your home after you leave for work and switch back before you return. Using a Wi-Fi enabled programmable thermostat allows you to have remote access using a smartphone or computer.
- Use Energy-Saving Alternatives. Cut back on the energy you use when cooling and heating. Use fans to circulate the air during summer days and wear a sweater or sweatshirt during the winter months. It will add comfort without using as much energy.
- Maintain Proper HVAC Care. Always be smart about taking care of your HVAC system. Schedule a professional technician to perform regular maintenance service.
Upgrade and Increase Savings
Whether you’re looking to save money throughout the seasons or get an easier-to-use thermostat that fits with your family’s lifestyle, the professionals at Flader Heating and Cooling are available to help you decide the best fit for your home. There are a wide range of Energy Star choices including:
- Smart thermostats.
- Wi-Fi thermostats.
- Programmable thermostats.
Our expert technicians will objectively discuss the pros and cons of each alternative to identify the best fit for your comfort needs. We’re also aware of rebates and discounts available from manufacturers and utility companies. Our EPA certified technicians can then install your new thermostat.
We Help Homeowners
Flader Plumbing and Heating is uniquely suited to determine the solution that best fits your home and family’s needs. We’ve been serving your neighbors and our community for over 100 years and 4 generations.
The Flader Difference
Only Flader Plumbing and Heating delivers:
- The most responsive service. We’re here for you 24-hours/7-days a week.
- Personal attention from certified and licensed technicians.
- The most dependable equipment and parts.
- Money saving maintenance agreements.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
Flader Plumbing and Heating recommends equipment, models, and brands proven to have the fewest problems and service calls. We specialize in:
Whether you need a new toilet, your water heater or A/C replaced, or your sump pump inspected, we are knowledgeable and expert in delivering the service.
Our professional technicians arrive on time, listen to your concerns, and answer your questions. They recommend the right solution and deliver as promised. Flader technicians average 15 years of experience and are EPA certified.
Expert service, quality parts, and satisfaction guaranteed. That’s the winning trifecta you deserve. There’s no reason to compromise. Call us at 847-491-6980.