Spring is in the air and everything is about to change. It’s time to re-acclimate!
The annual transition from Midwest winters with freezing temperatures to 80˚ days can be hard on your home heating and cooling system. Your heating system worked hard all winter to keep us comfortably warm and now it needs to be readied for cooling.
The High-Low Process.
The key to re-acclimating from winter to summer is simply to remember that warm air rises and cooler air sinks. That’s it in a nutshell. In a 2-story home, that means over the winter, nature saw to it that warm air rose from your furnace to the second floor. It was automatic – little force was necessary to keep your upstairs bedrooms warm. But now, for summer, you’ll need to ‘force’ cooler air up to the second floor to maintain a comfortable temperature.
I recommend an easy 5-step approach for an efficient and cost-effective Winter-to-Summer re-acclimation in your home:
- Air Vents. Open the air vents in rooms on the higher floors; close those in your basement and on lower floors. Since warm air rose during the winter, you probably closed the upstairs vents last fall – now it’s time to do the opposite. With the upper floor vents now open, your air conditioning unit will efficiently force cool air to these rooms.
- Filters. Spring is the perfect time to replace the furnace filters – it’s amazing how much dirt and dust they collect. This is the air your family breathes and filters are inexpensive. Also, don’t forget to change the filter on the air cleaner and dehumidifier. Once again, filters are inexpensive and relatively easy to change.
- Test. Over the winter your outside central air conditioning unit has been dormant. Spring is the time to test your air conditioning unit – before you need it. Simply set your thermostat to the lowest possible temperature and switching to ‘cool’ should start your outside air conditioning unit. You should feel cool air coming through your vents. If not, contact Flader Heating and Air Conditioning and one of our professional will inspect your unit. Even if you covered your outside air conditioning unit for the winter, it probably needs a thorough cleaning – debris removed, hoses checked, connections tightened, and eliminate any rodent or pest infestation. A Flader Heating and Air Conditioning technician can perform a thorough cleaning service.
- Duct Debris. Should the ‘test’ of your air conditioning be successful and cool air is coming through the heat vents, watch for any dust coming through the
vent.This might suggest you need your vents cleaned by a professional HVAC service technician.
- Continuous Fan. I live in an older 2-story home and realize that older homes
were not buildfor air conditioning – the duct work is too limited to power cool air to upperfloor. To adapt, I set my thermostat to run the fan ‘continuously’. This gives myupstairs a constant flow of cool air when I need it on those hot days.
We Help Homeowners
Flader Heating & Air Conditioning is uniquely suited to assist you in determining the ‘right’ solution that best fits your home’s needs. We’ve been serving the Community for over 100-years and 4-generations of the Flader Family. We take pride in exceeding expectations, providing peace-of-mind, and improving the comfort and quality of our customers’ life.
The Flader Difference
Only Flader Heating and Air Conditioning delivers:
- The most Responsive Service – 24-hours/7-days a week.
- Personal attention from certified and licensed technicians.
- Only the most dependable equipment and parts.
- FREE annual filter replacement.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Flader is located right in your Community. We’re responsive in answer the phone and being at your door. Callers to 847-491-6980 always speak to a live person – no voice-recording promising a callback. We’ll quickly have your home back to normal. Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Whether you’re replacing your furnace or central air conditioning, adding a dehumidifier or clean air system, or cleaning and servicing your heating and air conditioning system, we are knowledgeable and expert in delivering the service you need. Look to us for your annual inspection. Duct cleaning. Diagnose malfunctions. Improving ventilation. Replacing Filters. Installing advanced, state-of-the-art high-efficiency furnaces and air conditioners.
Our professional technicians arrive on-time, listen, answer your questions, recommend the right solution, and deliver as promised. Flader technicians average 10-years of experience and are EPA certified.
Expert service, quality parts, and satisfaction guaranteed. That’s the combination you deserve. Don’t compromise. Call us at 847-491-6980.